Having high ceilings may be elegant but there are house structures that take it too far (no pun intended) which can intimidate people or make a room feel awkward. Although creating an open space can bring more air into the room, it can very often feel overly spacious.
Avoid expensive room remodeling or house renovations and make the most of your high ceilings with these design tips. Remember, it is most important how you decorate your room to make it more appropriate for you.
- Choose darker colors for your ceiling rather than the usual white. White or very light colors will only make your tall room even taller. It will conjure feelings that your ceiling is up in the sky, covered with clouds. Darker colors and even warm colors are more inviting and can bring your ceiling much closer to the ground.
- Have a tray ceiling instead of the usual flat design. This will bring the ceiling closer to the floor and give it a warmer feel, Also it can open up an opportunity for a more intricate design for your ceiling. It would be a good idea to paint the recessed part light in contrast to the darker color of the perimeter ceiling.
- Place wall and window coverings around the room. The cover you have for your window or wall will serve as a connection from your ceiling to your floor. This will cover more space to make the room feel warmer and more balanced to look at.
- Include a ceiling panel to your room design. Just like a wall panel, a ceiling panel will create less space to your ceiling which will tone down its vastness.
- Set in place more windows so that light can come in. Natural light looks great in an open space and therefore can make the atmosphere more relaxed. Place a high window from floor to ceiling or you can place a clerestory window so more light can come in from above.
- Have a high but bare wall? Make use of it for display purposes. Display artworks like paintings, cross stitches, or other framed works. You can even install a wall cabinet to display other works of art. Placing more things on your wall will reduce the feeling of immensity in your room and therefore will create a cozier feeling.