Have you ever opened your closet and had a difficult time finding a single shirt to wear in the sea of mess? Do you tend to settle for the first clothing items you lay your eyes on rather than spending several minutes trying to search through your closet for the clothes you want to wear?
Well, if you answer yes to either of those questions, it’s time to take action. Either you suffer the same fate every time you open your wardrobe or simply de-clutter your closet… now!
Organizing your closet takes time – no doubt about it, especially if your closet is filled with jumbled clothes, strewn all over… not to mention shoes, a few linens and perhaps some additional things you happen to throw in your closet when guests are coming.
So, gather all your strength, face the fact it is going to take time, and lets start to clean up that closet!
- Before, starting on your mission to de-clutter your wardrobe, first of all, prepare everything you will need during work. This includes several boxes for storing clothing (and other “treasures” you will no longer use), trash bags to throw your trash away and maybe some light snacks in case you get hungry in the process. You can also set the mood with some cool music and open the windows to let in some fresh air. Remember, it is not an easy job and you will actually lose your patience especially if your closet is rather large.
- Empty a space around your closet. You will need more space to pile up and sort things while taking them out of the closet.
- Gradually take things out of your closet. You start with your clothes (might consider having a “laundry” pile and a “Fold/Hang” pile), then your shoes and other things. While taking things out, sort them to the things you will need to use, the things you need to store away and the things you definitely need to throw out. Empty everything in your closet. After you are done, set it all aside.
- After sorting all your things, it’s time to throw out the garbage so it will not mix up with your other useful things and put you right back where you started.
- Place all of the clothes, shoes and other things in boxes and sort them depending on what you need them for. You can classify them with one box for clothes, one box for the shoes and another box for the rest. You can even sort them for the things that you might use someday down the road and the other things that are better off donated.
- Seal your boxes and put them in your attic or basement. DO NOT forget to label the boxes so they will not mix up with the other boxes in your storage room and for you to easily find them when you need them.
- Before going through your useful clothes, clean your closet first. Dust off all corners and wipe it all over with a clean rag.
- It is time to sort the clothes you will often use. Just another reminder- these clothes have been in a huge muddle with your other things so set aside those that need to wash first. Arrange your clothes either according to style or according to season. You can fold and pile all of your shirts in one compartment. Put all your dresses on the hanger in one corner and your pants in the other corner. In another compartment arrange all your underwear and your socks. Put all your shoes in your wardrobe floor or in a built in shoe rack if you have one.
- Now, breathe, relax and keep in mind to organize things every time you take something in and out of your closet so you do not need to repeat the steps all over again.