Home Electrical Appliance Safety

29 Oct

Though we all enjoy the benefits of using electrical appliances at home, it is very important to carry out proper handling and safety precautions to avoid injuries and accidents. There are a number of situations in which bodily injuries, burns, and deaths have occurred from mishandling electrical appliances, so taking precautions is crucial.

So, how does electrical appliance safety come into play? First, it keeps you and your family away from possible danger. Mishandling can lead to detrimental situations that may harm you, so it’s a smart idea to steps to prevent that from happening. Secondly, it prolongs the life of your home devices. When you handle your electrical devices with care, they will provide several years of service.  Plus, it will save you the cost of repairs and replacements.

For some ideas on how to use your home appliances safely, here are a few tips:

  • The golden rule: unplug appliances when not in use.
  • Always check damaged wires and broken plugs and refrain from using them. Such flaws can easily cause electric shock or fire.
  • Avoid using your electrical devices near water. The most obvious example is that you should avoid using a hair dryer inside a bathtub full of water. If the device you’re using doesn’t require water to operate, keep it away from water to prevent electrocution.
  • Never run your electrical cord under a rug or carpet. In case of sparks, your rug will easily burn. This also prevents overheating in your wires.
  • Practice proper plugging and unplugging. To prolong the life of your devices, plug the cord into your device prior to plugging it into the wall outlet.  Likewise, unplug from your wall outlet before you remove the cord from your device.
  • Do not allow children near your electrical devices to avoid possible injuries.
  • Avoid overloading your outlets. This is also true with extension cords. If you have a spare outlet in a room, use that instead of plugging everything into the same one. Overload can easily cause sparks, which can lead to fire.
  • Have your wires tested if you live in an old house. Ground problems are common in old houses, so it’s a good idea to see what you are dealing with.
  • Leave repairs to the experts. When it comes to electrical work, this is crucial, especially if you have no experience. Never try to experiment when you need to repair your electrical wires, as it can cause injuries and expensive damage.

Jennifer Fields
Oklahoma City & Edmond Real Estate Agent
405.330.0031

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: