Signs of Electrical Problems in Your Home

25 Aug

Signs of Electrical Problems in Your Home

Electrical problems in your home can range from simple shortages that are easy to fix to massive issues which can lead to electrical fires and other hazards if not addressed in a timely manner.  In order to keep the electrical systems in your home functioning properly, be aware of signs that could be indicating there are problems, and address them as soon as possible.

Here are the most common signs of electrical problems:

  • Flickering Lights – This usually indicates that you have a loose or defective light bulb. This is a quick and easy fix, and all you have to do is either tighten the bulb or replace it if necessary.
  • Tripped Circuit Breakers – Circuit breakers are devices that prevent wires from overheating and causing damage to your electrical system. These devices are made to shut off the electricity supply when a circuit overheats or is overworked. However, circuit breakers can malfunction when they begin to wear out, so in order to prevent that from happening, try to not overload electrical outlets by only using the plugs available and not adding multiple-plug power strips to them.  They are designed to transfer a certain amount of energy, so do not push them beyond that.
  • Hot Ceiling Fixtures – A hot ceiling is an indication that you need better insulation. Most fixtures that are not insulated will overheat, which can lead to fires. The best solution is to change your lighting to compact fluorescent or LED bulbs.  They are cost-effective lighting options that produce minimal heat without affecting the quality of light.
  • Burning Odors or Sparks – If you smell a lingering burning odor that you suspect is coming from wires or switches, turn off the main power source immediately. The main reasons for burning are overload problems and wiring problems. A faulty device can also be another reason. A burning smell that is distinctively electrical needs immediate attention from an expert electrician. Sometimes small sparks appear when you plug in an appliance, and that is not cause for alarm. However, if the sparks are large or begin happening more frequently, call an electrician.  The same is true if you notice a popping sound when you plug in appliances, as that can be due to loose wiring.

Jennifer Fields
Oklahoma City & Edmond Real Estate Agent
405.330.0031

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: